[pct-l] Was UL Tents, now Cowboy Camping

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 16:33:42 CST 2011

being from british columbia, we don't have snakes... but what we do have are
bears; and lots of them.

my wife and i were cowboy camping on night (with our doberman) and a bear was
sniffing my foot when i woke up...  i stirred my wife who looked over ... it was
hovering over us,  nose to my knee by now...  a male blackbear, not too big...
but it was still scary ...  i know it's not a grizzly, but it got my heart
going...

... the dog slept right through it,  tucked between my wife and i, blissfully
snoring inside our sleeping bag... till my wife did the classic  "no bear!" then
the dog woke up in a fury and chased it off, end of story.

i wouldn't want to HAVE to cowboy camp,  when i do it, maybe it saves some time
and has appeal;  but the appeal of cowboy camping wore off quickly for me,  i
like retreating to my tent.
~Paul