[pct-l] I lift up my eyes to the Mountains . . .

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 19:16:33 CST 2011

Regarding the post about hills, especially Steeleye's well-said comments starting with " I’ll second Piper’s comments about the hills."
The only "tense" climb that I can recall from my 1980 hike came somewhere in the Glacier National Park area of Washington. (I wish I knew the name of the creek but with all of the washouts and the trail reconfiguration it may not matter any more.)
I had been apprehensive about this particular stretch for some time. The topographic map in the Wilderness Guide nearly had me psyched out. The climb down to a creek crossing and back up to a crest was so steep that the lines on the topo map looked nearly solid black.
I remember standing on the south side and peering down at the creek, my chin nearly touching my chest, and then looking across to where I  I could clearly see the switchbacks zig-zagging their way back up the mountain. I tried to count them, hoping that the guide had miscalculated.
I stared.
I pondered.
And then I shrugged.
Hiking along at the time, I said to myself "Self, what a great view this is! And an even better view awaits on the other side."
Heading down was no problem, even with my top heavy pack (Remember: I was what you all now call a Heavy Trucker,)
After crossing the creek, I took a snack break and psyched myself up to tackle the switchbacks, one at a time.
I decided to  pray, one Our Father and multiple Hail Marys, quantity to be determined, for every switchback. I don't recall how many Hail Marys exactly -- I think it was three -- but my paced was uncannily consistent. I would end a switchback and turn the corner on a new one right at the end of a Hail Mary.
So I trudged up, about as peaceful as I could be, and when I reached the top I took a snack and Tang break and told myself "Self, the only thing that would have made that hike better was if I was carrying Rosary beads."
As expected, the view from the top of that mountain, looking south, indeed was better than the view looking north.
If for no other reason than I could relish in the accomplishment.
Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980