[pct-l] Pedometers

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 3 17:06:30 CST 2011

I started my hike with a digital pedometer. It did not work very
well. The settings were too coarse so I could not get a setting that
matched my pace. If you can still find one with a dial rather than
digital, it might work better. What I ended up doing was learning my
pace by my watch. The Data Book had all these points and mileages in
it and after a while I got really good at estimating my pace. I could
determine the time I would be at the next data point within 5 minutes
accuracy. That meant I could estimate my miles with the same accuracy
as well. And also since I was using the Data Book and it had multiple
points per day, I didn't need to keep track of the whole day in one
lump sum.
Diane