[pct-l] Pedometers

albert at survivalcrafters.com albert at survivalcrafters.com
Mon Jan 3 13:19:12 CST 2011

I use the pedometer in my iPod to track local steady walks and it's accurate
for that but I don't know about hiking accuracy. There aren't any settings
for the pedometer other than on/off so if I walk with a short stride for 5
miles I may walk 10,000 steps whereas if I take long strides for 5 miles it
takes around 8,000 steps. So while the step counts are accurate at any
stride, if it shows I walked 40,000 steps on a pct day I haven't found a way
to translate that into accurate mileage because my stride varies so much.

I noticed the other day that even my new "very inexpensive" cell phone has
one of the apps others here are mentioning and it's free to activate and
use. It tracks elevations, rest stops, directions and everything else 24
hours a day so I'm considering using it.

-Albert