[pct-l] Rattlesnake

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 27 12:18:09 CST 2011

Good morning, Cheryl,

Cooking snake can be relatively simple without a recipe -- as such:  Obviously,
the first step is to catch and dispatch a snake.  Next, eviscerate it and
remove the less-than-useful front and back ends.  Finally, starting at the
front, peel off the skin.  You then have something that looks like a very
long, skinny fish.  If you end up with something large enough that you are
tempted to filet it, or slice it into stakes, I suggest you probably were in
over your head at Step-1.

This long piece can then be cut into appropriate lengths for your cooking
method:  Short pieces to brown in a pot for stew, or longer pieces to spear
on a stick and roast over an open flame like a hotdog.  The meat is a bit
dry so if you happen to have some oil you could rub it on the outside.  There
are lots of bones, but they are larger than fish bones and are more easily
avoided.

Somewhat like fish, it’s done when the pinkish, slightly translucent flesh
first turns white, then toasty brown.  I sprinkle on some salt and eat it
off the cooking stick.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09