[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] Season start date

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Feb 24 17:51:43 CST 2011

Peter, I love the way you put things ("horseshit-enhanced...)!

Just wanted to add a bit:

For early season snow travel, you do not need crampons and maybe not even traction aids like the Katoola microspikes http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php (which we very much shy from for use on those typical crusty, sloped-ascent mornings in the Sierra), especially if you have good leather hiking boots with the classic Vibram soles.

The early Sierra is just as Peter said, beautiful beyond imagine with the water everywhere, little flowers just poking up, snow, rock, and blue sky in contrasts, and that clean air! To do the JMT "early" does not require a technical course in snow travel, but your trip would be safer after taking one of Mountain Education's "Basic" Snow Skills Training Courses. We do offer as of this year an Intermediate-level Course that will last 10 days and apply what was learned on the Basic into a daily-moving, typical backpacker type format to truly prepare summer hikers for Springtime (trips will be in May) and snow hiking challenges.

To agree with Peter, creek crossings are dangerous. Look for a better place to cross than at the trail, leave your hiking boots on (to protect your feet), change your socks on the other side, use a third or fourth leg (your hiking poles or a long stick) for balance control, use the STOP method to evaluate the creek when you first get there, upstream may be smaller, narrower, or smoother,  and have rock-hops or log crossings. We teach this, too. If there is enough interest in Springtime High Sierra hiking along the JMT, we will offer such training trips (10-day versions or the full month-long TM - Whitney). Email us if you are interested.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd