[pct-l] PCT/Hiking jokes

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 24 17:39:43 CST 2011

Good afternoon,

One day in ’08 I had a good trail breakfast before arriving at Castella
late-AM to pick up my resupply box at the Post Office.  In addition to trail
meals, friend-wife usually packs a substantial horde of “eat now” goodies in
the box – usually treats that I don’t carry on the trail, things such as
canned meat, breakable crackers and cookies, etc.

After unpacking the box I went next door to the convenience store and bought
one of the tall cans of Coors Gold to drink with my normal trail lunch and
the “eat now” treats.  That was good, but I was still hungry so I went back
to the store and bought a big can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew (Serves 3?  I
don’t think so), a one-pound sack of chips, and a quart of Gatorade.

After getting that down I had some Gatorade left so I went back to the store
and bought a beef-‘n-cheese burrito from the deli counter.  It was about the
size of an NFL football, but down it went.

After that I went back to the store and bought a large coffee and an ice
cream bar to enjoy while I stowed my supplies and got ready to hit the trail
again mid-afternoon.

I’m not such a big guy – about 160 lbs. – but I certainly didn’t feel
over-fed.  There’s a fairly substantial climb up from Castella towards the
ridge west of Castle Crags, and I powered on up, not feeling like I had
eaten too much.  A trail appetite can be a wonderful thing.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09