[pct-l] Downloading pictures from cameras?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 20:38:31 CST 2011

If you use the send-back-every-few weeks method, be sure to use sturdy, padded envelopes.  I tried to save a few cents last year and added a 1 GB card with 200 miles of pix in a regular envelope.  The processing machines are made for flat envelopes and couldn't handle the added thickness in one corner.  The envelope got torn and the card was lost (it was in a plastic case, not just by itself.)

As a postscript, I was giving a PCT presentation to a civic club back in December and told about my lost pix.  Afterwards, a guy who is retired from the post office came up and asked me if I had put in a request for a search.  I hadn't.  He took down the vitals statistics (dates, where mailed from, where mailed to, description of card, etc.) and got on the phone to postmasters in California and Tennessee.  All 3 processing centers he talked to have a box of lost "stuff", including photo cards.  So far they haven't been able to identify mine, but he says to keep up hope.  I never knew lost items were findable at the P.O.; I figured once lost, always lost.  That's not necessarily the case.

Another good tip is to photograph a card with your name, phone #, email, address, etc. on the first image on each new card you install.  That way, if you lose your camera or just the memory card, someone might be able to identify who lost it.

Good luck.
Mango