[pct-l] SPOT vs Cell Phone

Steve Cosner stevec at sfsu.edu
Tue Feb 22 13:51:24 CST 2011

Ken Powers wrote:
 > I have a different view.
 > If you get hurt on  the PCT you will probably be in an area with no
 > cell phone service. A phone will do you no good but a Spot can
 > still send an emergency help request.

Exactly.  Cell phones work nicely when you are close to a cell tower --
seldom the case in the backcountry.

When you carry SPOT:   Do not be like the Spot users who try to be
battery misers and only use it once a day.  Or even worse, turn it on,
send for a minute or two and shut it off -- those signals seldom get to
a satellite.  SPOT needs to be turned on, signal sent, and left ON FOR
AT LEAST 30 MINUTES!   It increases the odds of a satellite being within
reach, or overhead where trees or terrain don't block the outgoing
signal.   Send several signals a day -- it gives family much more peace
of mind.   Do not carry it in a pocket or on a belt -- it must be in the
top of your pack, facing the sky, or on a shoulder strap, facing the
sky.   (DId I mention it has to be facing the sky?)

Tracking mode is cool -- people can watch your progress; but batteries
will run out in a week or two.

Learn when NOT to use it, like sending a 911 or HELP request without
knowing what it will cause.  911 will always cause a ranger or SAR team
to try to find you.  HELP usually just sets your family to worrying.
MAKE SURE you communicate in advance what a HELP signal means.

Here's a link to a "Sequoia/Kings NP Advisory" on WhitneyZone.com. Read
it and heed it.
SPOT emergency calls:
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/10287

More reading:    Article: SPOT Satellite Tracker:
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/311