[pct-l] thoughts on snowshoes?

Patty Tyrcha moonsap41 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 20:25:39 CST 2011

greetings!
i have had a question for a while now and even though i'm feeling sheepish for asking (i'm not only new to backpacking - i've done all of 10 days in the pasayten wilderness once, but i also am planning on hammocking-- but that's a whole other issue! C:  )  i'm a gonna ask it anyways!    ...  isn't this year pretty snowy?  i loved a recent poster who shared "impassible is a state of mind."  Here is my confusion:  even though snowshoes are more weight (mine are 3 lbs 8 oz for the pair) would they not make miles easier if the conditions are as heavy as some are predicting?  no one can tell the future, especially the weatherman, right?  C:  but if it takes tons more energy to get through deeper snow, and much longer, too, would the weight trade off be worth the time and ease with use?   i keep thinking it's reasonable to keep the option open, to have the snowshoes boxed and ready to be addressed, so they can be sent if and when i feel they'd be helpful.... is this overkill?
i've read just a little about understanding snow conditions for the best travel times, type of snow, and exposure; i know a little bit about avalanche safety; the only real snow experience i have is Mt Baker snowshoeing, a few overnight snow camping trips, and the pasayten trip (with snowshoes)  ...  we definitely won't be 'leading the way,' so perhaps the trail will already be blazed by the time we make it up?  so then snowshoes wouldn't be all that helpful or necessary?
i don't know what my base weight is yet...  i feel like i'm one of the ones experienced folks could point to at KO and whisper "that one may not make it."  or that may simply be my own fears trying to manifest!   i intend to do my best and learn as much from others as i can until it's time to hike my own hike...  and enjoy the trip for the moments i live, not for the big picture goal of a single season thru hike...  but i do very much want to finish this season (dammit!) ...  thus here i am.  asking my silly questions.  C:
thank you in advance for any and all advice you might have on snowshoes....  (i'm on a different forum for hammocking advice  C;  but if you are hammocking too, i'd love to hear from you!)   i have other newbie questions, but this is good for a start.

be well!!patty