[pct-l] Gear/Weight/Risk

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Feb 20 17:15:37 CST 2011

On 2/20/2011 11:31 AM, dnielsen at djmurphycompany.com wrote:
> To those experienced through hikers, particularly anyone who has done
> large sections or completed the PCT:

I have done a small section, so others may have better advice.

> I was always taught to be totally self sufficient and use quality
> gear as your survival can depend on it.

One thing about the PCT is that you generally always have someone hiking
within an hour or so behind you. You won't always be aware of them,
because you will seldom see them on the trail. If you get in trouble,
you will not be alone for long. That means that carrying every possible
thing for your survival isn't necessary.

> What I am struggling with most on the pct is the wide range of
> conditions, from needing 2 gallons of water in the pack one day at
> low desert

Which will happen a few times, but usually, you won't need to carry that
much.

> and then being faced with a potential snow storm at the top of a
> mountain the next day.

You may encounter snow, but usually your three season gear will be able
to handle it. If not, there is nothing wrong with backtracking to a
lower altitude and hunkering down until the storm passes. You have a
long time to complete the trail. Don't think you have to hike it all in
one day, no matter what the conditions.

> (not to mention proper mountaineering gear for snow, not trail
> runners.)

For the most part, you will not need mountaineering gear. When you do,
you will not need much of it.

> if I have a 20lb base load, 8 quarts of water 16lb, 5 days of food

You will seldom, if ever, need to carry that much water and food at the
same time. On the rare occasions that you might, remember that the water
weight and food weight will drop throughout the day.

> I have a lightweight set up that I use for overnight trips when I
> have a good read on weather and water and basically where I only need
> to carry 2 quarts of water. Base weight is 11lb and my pack

I am going to guess that with careful planning, you can do the PCT with
a 15 pound base.

> It is one thing to talk gear online and another when you get multiply
> days of freezing rain, snow and 50mph winds.

You will see all of these conditions on the trail, but will not be
likely to see them all at once, unless you are still out there well into
October. When it does snow on you, it will be light snow, easily handled
bt a 3-season tent.

> 1.	I really want to carry less weight, questions is do I have to
> increase my risk level to do so?

No. You just need to be more realistic about the risks, and more flexible.

> 2.	What is the real weight of the ultra light people once they get
> all that water, food and bear can onboard?

I started my through hike attempt with 34 pounds. 16 pound base, 7
quarts of water and 2 1/2 days of food. I finished that day with 19
pounds. 16 pound base, no water, 1 1/2 days of food.

You will never need to carry that much water and a bear can at the same
time.

> And how the heck to you carry that in a 1lb backpack?

You probably don't, unless you can trim your base down to below 12
pounds. A 2 lb pack, however, is realistic.