[pct-l] Gear/Weight/Risk

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Feb 20 14:58:50 CST 2011

On 2/20/2011 11:31 AM, dnielsen at djmurphycompany.com wrote:
> 1.	I really want to carry less weight, questions is do I have to
> increase my risk level to do so?
One of the lessons I learned from reading Ray Jardine's books is that it
matters more what's between your ears than on your back when it comes to
dealing with risk and adversity.  Experience with both can let a person
feel more comfortable dropping items/weight carried.  Or it may not.

I have a friend who needs "gear" to make him feel safe - to buffer
potential exposure to risk and adversity.  He doesn't trust his
experience - what he's learned.

Personally, I move more and more towards trusting my ability to
anticipate risk and adversity and make good decisions before "it's too
late" and I would need gear to make it through a situation along a
continuum of safely ----  comfortably.   This lets me have a base weight
of 11 or 12 pounds these days.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD