[pct-l] Sierra City to Belden to Chester

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:01:12 CST 2011

I'd forgotten about the massive blowdowns in the Sierra last year.  Same was
true of the southern Cascades and the Castle Crags north area.  What happens
is that the trees, particularly the lodgepole pines, get heavy with snow in
their crowns, a big wind comes along and snaps the tree off part way up.
Shroomer (and everyone else who had to climb through that mess) would know
if there were also uprooted trees covering the trail.

This year with no storms  since December (until the mess that's happening
now) there may be fewer treefalls on the trail.  However, there were some
big winds associated with the present storm and gusts up to 40+- mph.

Just keep asking about conditions either on the list or you can call the
Lassen Nat'l forest office in Chester for conditions in the forest.  Those
of us who live in Norcal will probably offer some info about trail
conditions here on the list as well.