[pct-l] Smarter Backpacking, paperback (free+shipping)

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:04:04 CST 2011

Hey All,

I have the book "Smarter Backpacking" by Jorgen Johansson that I just
finished and want to give away.

You can find it an amazon at: http://amzn.to/fB9jFX

All I ask is that you cover shipping. So, if you want it shipped priority
mail, make it 5 bucks, if you want slow, make it 3 bucks. (paypal please)

If you have a base backweight of under 10 pounds I would say you do not need
to read this book.

If you are in the 16-12 pound range, this book should give you a few tips.

If you are in the 16+ range, well, I think this book would not help you much
- it seemed to be more focused on saving a pound or two, rather than 4+

Being in the UL and very close to the SUL range I did not really get much
from this book, other than confirmation that the route I have chosen...
well, that I am not the only person who has chosen the specific gear setup
that I have. The way he approaches things is very simular to how I have. The
use of specific clothing, the compromises of xyz items in order to have, say
the luxury of a ultralight umbrella. His take on the use of goretex is
inline with mine too. He advoctes most of the things that most of us in the
sub-10 pound range do, but not all of them. He comes from a land of white
snow and does not encounter the likes of the Mojave desert, though he does
try to address those issues.

All in all a great book for those in the 10-14 (maybe 16 pound) range, who
need some guidance - and reassurance.

It should be noted that he only mentions a single company by name (and that
was almost at the very end of the book). It is nice to see a book that does
not just push out a whole bunch of brand name gear that will not be produced
in the next season or two. So this is not the book for you if you want to
know exactly which brand/item to try/buy.

Anyway, I have no need for this book now. It wasn't available for the kindle
(at the time I bought it) so I had to buy the physical book... time to pass
it along. just pay for shipping. :)

John