[pct-l] FW: Sleeping Pads

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 13:41:13 CST 2011

dnielsen wrote:

Looking for suggestions on sleeping pads for a back that is going on 50 and
has some miles on it.  Currently use full length Ridge Rest but it seems
harder all the time.  I am willing to carry a little extra weight on this
item in order to sleep better.

I highly recommend either the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core or the Thermarest
Neoair.  Both are inflatable pads (not self-inflating) that give you a lot
of cushion for not a lot of weight.  Neither are inexpensive (the Neoair is
particularly spendy) but they're worth every penny in my opinion.  A good
night's sleep is incredibly valuable.  The only downside is that you can't
whip them out for a five-minute lie-down during a break.  You might consider
carrying a half-length of a thin closed-cell foam pad for that purpose if
you want to.

Eric