[pct-l] MLD Packs

Dan Cross-Viola dan_cross43 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 10:13:06 CST 2011

Hello everyone,

I haven't been too vocal on here, but I owe you all a debt of gratitude for all the phenomenal info that comes across the list - I've learned so much that'll be invaluable on my thru-hike this year.

I'm nearing the tail-end of my gear purchases.  I've been leaving my pack for last, waiting to see what I could get my base weight down to.  It's looking like I'll be around 9lbs, meaning I'll probably be carrying in excess of 30lbs at points (full on food during long stretches, 6L of water during dry stretches, etc.), but more often around 20lb.

I've been looking at different pack options out there and I'm zeroing in on some Mountain Laurel Designs options.  I'm trying to figure out which MLD pack to go with though: the Burn, Prophet, or Exodus.  Two questions are coming to mind:  1) Which of these will be able to pack a BV500 during the Sierras?, and 2) Which of these will be able to handle in excess of 30lbs on those rare occasions that I'm packing that much.  Obviously, the lighter the pack the better, so I'd love to be able to go with the Burn, but am guessing the Propht or Exodus may be the better option for me.  I know the website says all three can handle loads of 50lbs, but I'd be curious to hear an outsider's opinion.

If anyone has any experience with these packs, please give me your two cents.

Thanks!

Dan "Bear Can" Cross-Viola

Hello everyone,

I've been pretty quiet on here since joining last year, but I owe you all a debt of gratitude for all the phenomenal info that comes across the list - I've learned so much that'll be invaluable on my thru-hike this year.

[...]

Bear Can