[pct-l] Snowshoes

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Feb 16 10:07:42 CST 2011

Good morning, Sam,

I have several pairs of snowshoes but I haven’t found they are necessary for
typical early-summer snowpack.  If I want to use snowshoes my preferred pair
are Northern Lites Quicksilver-30, a photo of which can be seen at
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165516.  They weigh 45 ounces –
half again heavier than any other single item I carry.  For a “traditional”
– read heavy – hiker with 65 lbs. of gear that’s only a 5% increase.  For me
as an ultra-lite those 45 ounces are a 25% increase.

There is additional discussion of show vs. snowpack at:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264464

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264576

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

Step back for a moment and think about the thousands of bright, experienced,
and successful  PCT hikers who do without snowshoes even though there are
usually brief moments when they would be helpful.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09