[pct-l] Jardine and the Backpack Hip Belt

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Feb 15 10:13:31 CST 2011

Good morning, Sym,

I discount Jardine’s “belt crunch” theory because I’ve found that for every
instance I was distressed by having a belt-constrained pack I could find an
equally distressing situation where a beltless pack flopped out of position.

More important to me is the need to reduce weight by having frameless pack.
Without a frame of some sort to apply force to the belt structure the pack
just slumps and continues to load the shoulder straps – obviating the need
for the belt.

When I first read Jardine’s description of one-shoulder hiking I thought it
was a silly idea, but after trying it I became convinced it was a very silly
idea.  My 8 lb. base weight, loaded with food, fuel, and water consumables,
could be about 20 lbs.   That’s 10 lbs. on each shoulder, or 20 lbs per
shoulder with the “Jardine carry”.  Most ultra-lite hikers, including me,
would consider a 40 lb. pack too heavy to be comfortably carried, however
that pack would also provide 20 lbs. per shoulder – the same as the “Jardine
carry”.

Not only is the force at the one shoulder doubled, but my body is off-center
loaded which strains my back, disturbs my gait, and changes my balance.  If
I were one day from resupply, and was not carrying much water, my resulting
10 lb. pack could be carried any-which-way with no real effect, but why do
it?

Before you whack off your hip belt, give the idea a good test in actual
hiking:  Unhook the belt and hike using one shoulder as well as two.  In a
similar test, if your feet get tired, try resting one foot while hopping
along on the other.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09