[pct-l] Bring Guidebooks or Maps?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 10:05:39 CST 2011

Ya Jackass, next to Muir's Home, is City Lights Bookstore in SF, in terms of
pilgrimage sites.  While Lawrence Ferlinghetti is still alive, it's worth
the visit.  Probably will be after he's gone as well.  He's got to be in his
90's.  I hiked with many much younger than I all summer, and my theme song
was WCW's poem, To Daphne and Virginia,

"The smell of the heat is boxwood
                      When rousing us
                                           a movement of the air
stirs our thoughts
                     that had no life in them
                                            to a life, a life in which
two women agonize:
                      to live and to breathe is no less.
                                             two young

A long poem, of longing and the love of an old man for all women, and for
his two daughters in law in particular, of men and women.  I read it aloud
at night several times as I felt so the kinship with WCW, surrounded by the
loveliness of youth, and the confusion of all of us who love.  It got a good
reception whenever I did.  And ya, he and crazy man Pound were what made the
Beats happen.  I should have known you'd be a Howleee.

Shroomer