[pct-l] Bring Guidebooks or Maps?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 01:17:43 CST 2011

Sorry, I didn't quite get the question.  I started with Half Mile's maps,
Yogi's book and the Guidebook.  The guidebooks are great for the history of
where you are, and that was fascinating, but I found that I used them less
and less as the season progressed, and eventually sent them home.  I did
less reading in the evening than I originally thought I would.  I hiked
until near dark, had time to set up camp and had supper, or already had it
somewhere on trail, and then just conked out.  I eventually only kept
several pages from a book of William Carlos Williams' poems that I
especially loved, and could read over and over without getting tired of.
 Little Engine split the book with me and I just kept those poems that work
like a great song or piece of music that you can hear again and again, and
that was enough.  I just didn't have the energy to read the Guidebooks after
a bit.  Maps and Yogi are the essentials for me.  The Guidebook is not.
 Others may feel very different about this however.  And I did read them
before leaving home about this time of year.

Shroomer