[pct-l] Our Resupply strategy

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:36:33 CST 2011

I'm doing the same thing as you for food. In my "days of food" column, I am
always adding 1 extra. It's an old backpacking habit I've had for too long.
I always carry that extra day in case something happens and I'm moving
slower. That's never happened. In fact, I nearly always finish my hikes too
soon and walk out with 2-3 days food :p. As I start to build up a backlog of
food, I will just bounce some ahead and have my wife take some out of a
future box, or I'll just toss it into the hiker box. I'm not worried about
using it up. Since I'm going to be so dependant on the PO, I anticipate
times I'll have to stall so as not to arrive on a Sunday. Rather than taking
a zero in town, I'll probably hang out by a pretty stream and graze all day.
;)

Yes, I'm using the info in Yogi's guide for where I can get fuel. I'm using
an alcohol stove, so mostly I'll be after Heet. I'll probably mail some
alcohol to the places Yogi says there is no fuel. I realize she only listed
places that were reliable. The reality is I can probably get fuel
everywhere.