[pct-l] Flares - emergency - SPOT

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 21:38:34 CST 2011

Gerry,

You will get lots of opinions on which stove is best.  The soda can stoves are
certainly lighter than propane canister stoves. I prefer my propane canister
stove because it is safer, easier to use, and more versatile. You can see the
flame, adjust the heat and easily turn off the fuel supply in an emergency..
Also, it is very fuel efficient, more stable and there is no liquid to
pour. With the soda can alcohol stoves the flame is invisible, you can't adjust
the flame (it is all or nothing - you can't simmer). They are so light weight
and because of the small diameter base can be knocked over by a sudden wind
gust. Some of the UL hikers like them, and with experience, use them very
successfully and safely on the trail. You should check out both kinds and see
which suits your needs. It will also depend on what kind of cooking you want to
do while on the trail.  Check out the new Jetboil canister system.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson