[pct-l] MP3 vs. the Snores

Shawn Hudson shizaquawn at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:14:53 CST 2011

>  I agree, what the hell is the deal with all the stupid ipods these days? I
> mean, I can understand turning on some John Denver when you hit the
> Sierras,
> but come on people... you are out there to hike and behold the utmost
> beauty
> of this country, and to hear the birds, and to hear the water falls, and to
> here the fires on the other canyon, and the bears chasing you down the
> path... oh wait, you cannot hear the bears, you've got your ipods
> playing...
> oh well, good for the next guy on the trail, your bear dinner now and not
> him :-D

It's probably not as much of a necessity on the PCT, because I hear the
landscape changes a lot more than on the AT, and is ... well, more
interesting that 200 miles of rhododendron tunnels in Virginia ... BUT, I'll
give you a secondary reason that I loved having my lil' cheapo MP3 player
with me on the Appalachian Trail - SHELTERS & SNORING.

After one week of no sleep due to people and their deviated septums, I
trained myself to listen to music - usually two or three albums of something
soothing enough (but also loud enough) to drown out the terribly un-rhythmic
chorus of snorts, whistles, chortles and spastic sleep-whinnies.

Voodoo