[pct-l] Insulation layer

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 17:44:44 CST 2011

Dear Melanie

I am very late to this topic, since I only read some of the topic on
this mailing list.

Your decision is right. I think rain suits is a must. The rain suits
protect you from hypothermia, even when you are completely wet,
because it protects you from the wind chill effects.

I am a heavy trucker, but my layer system is very simple.

Upper body
1. T-shirts 2 or 3 set   ( The old NorthFace Tech Underwear, very
expensive, but durable, I am using for many years. )
2.long sleeve underwear   ( NorthFace Tech Underwear )
3.rain wear

Lower body
1. brief  ( undergarment )
2. long pants underwear  ( NorthFace Tech Underwear )
3. shorts +  long gaiters
I think shorts and gaiters make hypothetical long pants. When I sleep,
I wear long sleeve and long underwear( pants) . These are my night
wear.

for tent wear , I have a very light weight down vest or a down jacket.

2011/2/12 Melanie Clarke <melaniekclarke at gmail.com>:
> Thank you everyone!!
>
> Well, the votes are in so I will carry rain gear.  I like the rain gear
> recommendations so I'm going to try on some things at REI and then decide.
>
> Melanie
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Kevin Cook <hikelite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This idea comes up occasionally on a couple DIY gear forums I visit. It can
>> work. People have modified their fly and added a hood.
>>
>> The biggest downfall is, by wearing your fly as a poncho, you risk putting
>> holes in your fly. Leaky raingear will just make you a little wetter while
>> hiking, but if you then get to camp and have a leaky shelter, you could be
>> in trouble.
>>
>> I agree with others, you would be better served with a light weight item
>> dedicated to the task of keeping you dry while hiking.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Melanie Clarke <melaniekclarke at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Mango,
>>>
>>> Thanks, I am nervous about leaving my down jacket behind but I have this
>>> exact same experience, I just don't use it or seem to need it.  I only
>>> plan
>>> to do the Southern CA section to Hwy 58 anyway.  I get really heated when
>>> hike.  I hike in just a fleece jacket down to 30 degrees, sometimes shorts

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )