[pct-l] Flares and Wildfires

Nitnoid1 nitnoid1 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 16:19:31 CST 2011

I need bring to light a fact about a certain lost hunter in the mountains east of San Diego in 2003. He lit a flare because he was lost. It was very windy at the time, a Santa Ana was raging.  The tinder dry brush caught fire and proceeded to burn more than 100,000 acres and more than 2000 homes. Whole neighborhoods were leveled to their foundations. The PCT in the Mt Laguna and Julian areas still bear the scars of that fire to this day. My home in Poway was even threatened.

Now this is common sense, and I am only repeating it because I have a vested interest in Southern California and the trails down here.  If it is windy, do not light a fire, any fire, regardless of the source. And if you feel the need to light a flare, at least clear all combustable materials from a 5 foot wide radius before ignition.

But, after saying all that, just leave the flares at home, or on your boat.

The Incredible Bulk