[pct-l] SIERRA SNOW REPORT.... Good News & Bad News

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 12 12:05:08 CST 2011

I don't think lots of snow is trouble for thru-hikers; just the opposite.  Based on my limited experience, the Sierra is easier to get through with a deep, consolidated snow pack than a warm, melting, suncup-infested snow pack.  The surface is firmer, the streams are safer (albeit colder), the bugs are still unhatched, and the scenery is drop-dead gorgeous.

Some drawbacks are possible lack of access at road crossings, with concurrent longer segments between resupplies, more difficult climbs to some passes (esp. Forester and Mather), heavier gear for cold weather.

I do agree that additional snow skills and gear are needed.  Along with a good group that is committed to staying together.  Taking Ned's course is always useful, whether you go through in May, June, July, August, whatever.

Mango

> Secondly....  Mammoth Mountain, this season, has already received 336" of snow and more is
> forecast for Monday and Tuesday which, of course, is good news for  "Ski Bums"  like me but
> bad news for  "Hiker Trash"  like you.

Seriously guys, do the math, the average snow fall for the season at Mammoth over the last
40 years has been 342" and the season is far from over.

But don't be scared....be prepared ....take Ned's snow course.
It won't hurt you....but it could keep you out of trouble or perhaps save your life.

JMT Reinhold
The ski bum