[pct-l] Water filter?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 16:38:32 CST 2011

I think people are using this:
http://www.sawyer.com/SP122.htm

They offer heavier kits with dirty and clean bags, but they seem heavy to
me. I'm thinking I can make my own system of tubing to interface with my MSR
Dromedary for less weight.

I made my original comment because someone else mentioned a 3 oz gravity
feed filter system. I like the lighter weight, but the gravity feed also has
some appeal. The problem is getting enough water to feed with gravity. If
the water source is shallow, it's easier to pump from it. You can still use
this, but instead of pumping, you will spend the same amount time using a
bag or something to collect the water and fill your supply container for the
gravity system.

I haven't decided to go this route. I really love my MSR filter. It's
cleanable in the field, so that makes it reliable. I bought it specifically
for filtering in arid environments, ie The Canyon. It's just heavy. This
isn't a priority issue for me though. I have a solution. It may not be
ideal, but I have other things to worry about still.

Good luck. If you decide to use the Sawyer, I'd love to hear your feedback.
In fact, has anyone through hiked with one and have some feedback for Eric
and myself?

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Eric <johner27 at evergreen.edu> wrote:

> 3 oz and gravity fed? Sounds pretty good, got more info?
>

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Kevin Cook <hikelite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Up to now, I've been planning to carry my MSR Miniworks (I think that's
>> the name). It's a full pound though, and you have to pump the water. The 3
>> oz gravity feed solutions I keep hearing about have me intrigued.
>>
>> For sure I will filter up to the Sierra, but I may go to chemicals after
>> that. In that case, I think Aqua Mira or just bleach are the most popular.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Eric <johner27 at evergreen.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd love some opinions on water filters from everyone, I'm still trying
>>> figure out what I want to carry.  Budget isn't much of an issue here, but
>>> am trying to conserve weight.  I've looked at the 8 oz. MSR, the
>>> Steripen,
>>> or just using drops(lightest option).  What do you all use?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Eric
>>>
>>> BTW I did search the archives for some ideas before sending this :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget
>>> us.
>>> ~Henrik Tikkanen
>>>
>>> “The things you own end up owning you.”* -*Tyler Durden, *Fight Club*
>>>
>>> "The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a
>>> monthly
>>> salary."—David Hieatt