[pct-l] Insulation layer

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:56:58 CST 2011

Hey Melanie,

If you want to ditch your heavier rain gear - yet still want a bit of
protection for a possible surprise shower, Joe from over at ZPacks.Com just
released a 3.4 oz (and a 2.5 oz!!!) just released something that might be of
interest to you.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudcape.shtml

He describes it this way: the CloudCape is a cross between a poncho and
jacket.

Cuben fiber... yes... breathability... no... super light... yes. short
sleeve (huh??)

None the less, I bought one.

I have been using the "Outdoor Research Helium Rain Jacket" which is the
lightest rain jacket I have been able to find at 6.8 ounces. (Never been a
poncho fan, though many are trying to convert me) But I think that this
CloudCape has a rather nice potential for exactly the situation you are
describing. You might not need the 15+ ounces of a full gear set, but still
want something that will help keep your body core temp stable. That is kind
of how I see this. He just released it a day or two ago, I placed the order
for mine yesterday, and hope to get is soon and give it some testing.

John