[pct-l] To flare or not to flare

jamie szewczyk jamieszew723 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 23:18:51 CST 2011

Regarding to flare or not to flare,

Honestly I feel my trail name should be "Paranoid" or something because I
have a crazy imagination.  I feel like I should be prepared for the worst
case scenario, so that I live to tell the tale.  Maybe a Spot would be a
little safer than the flare tho.  Regarding protection from bears, bear mace
is a great idea.  A gun or knife probably won't save you from animals and in
most cases they will only aggravate the animal more.  However, we are all
critics and I like the saying "Hike your own hike" because I certainly will
take whatever I feel will save me in worst case scenarios, while not
breaking my back due to excess weight in my pack.

Jamie