[pct-l] 1 hiker + 1 cyclist synch'd along the PCT; advice? (not what you think)

David Lippke lippke.list at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 21:03:54 CST 2011

This year my wife (Seminole, AT-thru 2010) will attempt a PCT thru hike.
Meanwhile, I'll be roughly paralleling her course riding a mountain tandem
bike (solo) on roads and jeep tracks.   We'll be trying to meet up at road
crossings as often as practical.   Sometimes I'll bring her a bit of
resupply, sometimes she'll throw her pack on the BOB and we'll cycle into
town, and sometimes we'll just chat, etc.   If interested in the "why?" of
this, see the background info after my sig, but the net is that it's less
about support than simply sharing the experience as best we can.

We operated somewhat this way along the AT last year, except that I was in a
jeep and I operated a sort of "migratory angel" service running 27K miles up
and down the trail dispensing honey buns (2500+), chocolate milks (1500+),
riding hikers around and so on.

That was a blast but I got fat while my wife got thin!  :-}   So now I'm
doing it via bicycle and, while I'll probably bike 3-4X the trail's miles
doing it, I can't do all the exploring ahead that the 12X miles in the jeep
allowed.   Thus, as typical of an AT->PCT transition, more up front planning
is required.

I could use some advice and pointers from anyone who has cycled (or has
simply looked at with a cyclist's eyes) the roads paralleling and crossing
the trail.   In particular, are there any roads that maps might tempt me to
bike on but are actually too hazardous or difficult for a solo-powered
tour-loaded tandem to traverse?   For example, I've read here that the road
to VVR is rough and potentially dangerous yet this is a road I would be
drawn to attempt -- should I forget it or is it likely okay if I keep a
close eye on my mirror and my ears at full attention?

I could also use some input from anyone who's been involved in any PCT run
that required a great deal of synchronization / communication with someone
off trail.   On the AT we used many methods and, in aggregate, those worked
well but I think they will not work quite as well on the PCT.

Further, if there are any HAM operators here who could speak to the
continuity of relevant VHF & UHF repeaters along the trail, that'd also be
great.   I've always heard that there's a strong repeater presence out there
in the desert.  But further north?

And then there are all those things I should be told but don't know I should
be told.   Have at it.  :)

Thanks much -- any input, on or off list, will be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
   David aka "White Jeep"

p.s. Why this way?   A week before my wife and I were scheduled to begin a
2009 AT thru hike attempt I was in a severe ATV accident which shattered my
left tibia (as in tiny little shards).   Consequently I spent 5 months in
surgeries and rehab instead of 5 months of walking -- same time frame,
different adventure!  :-P .. Anyway, I'm left with a knee that I can do a
few hiking miles on but not these type miles.  However, I'm a strong cyclist
and there is no problem doing that ... so that's what I do!