[pct-l] Non-Cooked Food - Share Your Recipes!

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 17:56:31 CST 2011

Hello John,

Disclaimer:  I eat weird food that I suspect alot of hikers wouldn't want.

Two of my non-cook hiking mainstays are inspired by the esteemed Scott Williamson's hiking diet:

Scott's version:  Dried refried beans that are cold rehydrated for three hours mixed with olive oil and organic crushed corn tortilla chips.

My version:  Dried whole beans that are cold rehydrated for 3 or more hours (Garbonzo beans take the longest) mixed with olive oil, balsalmic vinegar, dried whole grain bread crumbs, and dried greens (last year I dried spinach, collards, and home wildcrafted nettles), salt & pepper, and dried roasted garlic or sometimes fresh garlic...also good with tuna.

Scott's version:  Green Shakes made with Spirutein brand protein powder mixed with spirulina powder and powdered soy milk.

My version:  I turn my green protein shakes into pudding with Spirutein brand chocolate protein powder mixed with spirulina powder, whole powdered milk, 1/2 package Trader Joe's brand chocolate pudding and sometimes crushed Graham Crackers.  This is best eaten after dark as it is a very weird color.

Sincerely, Lollygag

[pct-l] Non-Cooked Food - Share Your Recipes!

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:53:37 CST 2011