[pct-l] Which Book to Read ??

Brian McLaughlin brianmclaugh at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 15:21:20 CST 2011

Good recommendation! Ray Jardine taught me a lot about
lightweight backpacking. He was the motive force behind
many now-standard thru-hiking strategies.

I would only add that, if you get this book and read it, and
it contains a glowingly enthusiastic section on corn pasta as
the perfect backpacking food and a miracle of nutrition that no
hiker should do without... just know that for many years the
most-abandoned food in hiker boxes was corn pasta, huge
heaps of it, enough to fuel a small city.

Otherwise, much of his advice is quite good.

Aimless