[pct-l] Bears: Risk of becoming a fatality? Statistics of interest here...

Bruce "Buck" Nelson buck at bucktrack.com
Mon Feb 7 14:26:18 CST 2011

Hi All,

When discussions of bear danger come up I always wish for a source
of more complete real-world statistics. I recently gathered information
and statistics from numerous cited sources.

Examples of interesting results were that roughly 1 out of 20,000 people
kills someone in a given year, while about 1 out of 200,000 bears kills
someone during that same year; and that your odds of being a bear fatality

in a single encounter are about 1 out of a million.
Don't forget to read the comments, and add your own, if you like.

For a lot more on the topic, please see
http://bucktrack.blogspot.com/2011/02/bears-should-you-be-afraid.html.
I think you'll find it interesting.

Colter