[pct-l] PCT Bear Canister Loan Program

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 04:28:42 CST 2011

Attention: 2011 nobo PCT thru-hikers...
(Again) Announcing the fifth season of the PCT Perpetual Bear Canister Loan Program...
There are still canisters available - please don't delay your request - I hate to deny
requests in April (or May!) after all the canisters have been reserved for the season!  :-/

2011 nobo PCT thrus - are you on a tight budget or have limited finances, or are you
coming from outside the USA or from an area of the country in which you won't have ANY
use whatsoever for a bear canister after your PCT thru-hike?
You may be able to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike for 'free' (except
return shipping & insurance)...
The loan program is currently NOT done on a 'first come - first served basis', but
rather on a show of 'some' need, however small...
Sorry, but the loan program is not currently set up to serve sobo thrus, nor JMT hikers.

If you think you might qualify for a 'free' bear canister loan for your 2011 nobo PCT
thru-hike, please contact me off-list via email (subject: PCT Bear Can Loan) - and
briefly explain your reason or need to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike...
I'll be glad to answer most of your questions regarding the bear canister loan program...
Please don't delay until the last moment to request a canister; we would like to arrange
and finalize all canister loans by the middle of March at the latest...

Thank you.

Happy trails!!!
Jim "PITA" Payne
(email: enyapjr at comcast dot net)