[pct-l] Llamas

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Feb 6 16:10:17 CST 2011

I saw llamas on the JMT and up in Washington. They're so cute. Maybe
they were alpacas, but I don't know the difference.

There's a guy in our area who has adopted a section of a local trail.
He plans working trips into the area each spring. He uses goats
instead of llamas. The goats can carry something like 66 pounds each.
They bring in tools and tri-tip and fixin's for dinner. Then we
volunteers work on the trail and get a tri-tip dinner.

I asked him why goats and not llamas. He said the goats are better
behaved. They won't run off. They carry a lot of weight and are easy
to feed (they basically eat everything.) They do not like to get
their feet wet and act like little princesses at water crossings, so
I'll be the llamas do the same.

Anyway, goats are another option.