[pct-l] Fw: Tents vrs Tarps - Bivies?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 13:19:47 CST 2011

Hi Kevin,

I really hate being bitten by mosquitoes.  What the tarp approach lacks is the
netting and the bathtub lower design, which reduces cross wind chill and, with
the netting, also keeps out other insects and critters, including snakes.

Let me mention just a little bit about myself.  I have discovered that I am
probably, at 75, the oldest person on this list.  I started backpacking in the
Sierra and in the mountains of S. California during the early 1950's.  I was in
the 10th grade.  My first hiking buddy and my mentor, was Bill, a12th grader
with lots of back country experience.  I learned a lot from him.  I was to
become, most often, a solo backpacker.  In those days we did not use tents or
tarps or air mattresses or sleeping pads (we would just scrape out hip holes and
line them with pine needles)  We would bring a ground tarp with grommets wide
enough to become an emergency shelter.  We brought no stoves.  All cooking was
over a wood fire. Hiking poles were not yet invented.  I did usually carry my
ice axe.  When I did the JMT, solo, in 1957, I probably carried 55 to 60 pounds
in my Kelty Pack ( I bought one of Kelty's first - when he was working out of
his Glendale garage). On my JMT hike I did not resupply as it was only 182 miles
from Whitney Portal to T. Meadows.  I took my time, I think 18 days, and fished
a lot and also supplemented my diet with certain wild plants that I had become
familiar with.  In total, I backpacked about 2500 miles between 1952 and 1963 -
when my wife and I left for our VW camping adventure in Europe, Asia, and
Africa.  We traveled through 31 countries.

 I would like to mention that bears were never a problem in the Sierra high
country in those days.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson