[pct-l] Tents vs Tarps - Bivies?

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 11:16:30 CST 2011

Well said Jeff.

Let me follow that up with this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abelajohnb/4619499718/

Now granted, that is not the PCT, that is my own local trail. But as I made
clear in my initial post about this, my question about tarp/tent was not
specifically for the PCT. I was wanting to approach the topic from something
that would work for a lot of people for many years, regardless of where they
were. Your case, and this photo, are both answers for the "why a tent"
question.

(that said, I am not 100% advocating a tent setup. just helping to make a
point for one side of the issue)

As for "using a hammock"... yeah, I own the finest hammocks made (WB/HH/etc)
and love them all... but that is just not what this discussion was about...
:-p