[pct-l] Tents vrs Tarps - Bivies?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 5 18:06:19 CST 2011

I agree wholeheartedly. Reducing pack weight is a key to making a
thru-hike a success. And more than that (because Ernie and Ned can
make it a success with monstrous loads) making it a pleasure.

Another side-effect to reducing pack weight is the pleasure of
reducing dependence on gear to ensure your comfort and solve all your
problems. It's freeing. One reason I miss the trail so much and waste
too many pixels here is the fond memories of how free I felt to need
so little to be warm, safe, dry and happy.