[pct-l] Stream crossings

Vimal Golding bungovi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:17:22 CST 2011

If I'm solo, I find that I have the most stability facing the opposite
shore (less surface area exposed to the flow) while holding a sturdy
stick on the downstream side. I've had sticks break mid-stream so
choose carefully! A good technique for two people is to both face
upstream, the stronger person stands in front and the smaller stands
directly behind them firmly holding the front person's shoulders or
shoulder straps. Walk sideways together until you are safely across.
The front person is supported by the rear and the rear is standing in
the eddy created by the front! If you have three or more, make a
pyramid pointing upstream. You might want to practice this one before
trying it in a full out raging river, but if the water is deeper than
your knees this technique is awesome.

Vimal