[pct-l] helping out

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Feb 3 09:19:08 CST 2011

As time draws closer to hiking season, Warner Springs Monty or
someone down there will probably post an announcement seeking
volunteers to help stock the 3rd gate cache. They have to carry the
water up in gallon jugs in their backpacks for about a mile or so up
a hill, so they need all the help they can get.

They'll also need volunteers to help at the kickoff. Again,
announcements will usually be made as time draws near.

My personal opinion is that random small water caches all over the
trail becomes an eye-sore. Better to help keep the established ones
full or to leave surprise drinks or fruit in a cooler than yet more
water bottles.

I have to admit that hiking in So Cal there are so many helpful
people leaving stuff that pretty soon you become ashamed of yourself
how you expect there to be snacks waiting at every road crossing, and
the amount of disappointment and even (she waits for everyone to fire
up their flame throwers) annoyance when there isn't.