[pct-l] My Gear List - Need Some Experienced Thoughts

Brandon McGinnity bmcginnity at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:19:57 CST 2011

if that montbell "handy scoop" is for digging catholes, you can do without
that. Use your heel, trekking poles, rocks, sticks, tent stake... easy.

anyways, I'm jealous. I'm hovering around 16 lbs base weight, and can't seem
to figure out how to get it down more without buying more new replacement
gear, which I can't justify right now. The ULA pack is still new enough,
Etowah tarp just 24 oz, my rain jacket too heavy but it works, sleeping bag
just 31 oz and brand new, and so on. I don't know how to do spreadsheets too
well, and don't have a scale, but I can't figure out where all the extra
heaviness is coming from. I mean, hell, my big 3 weighs only 6.1 lbs! Guess
the journal, maps/guides, camera, aquamira, headlamp, and alcohol stove
really add up... Not that I'm going for ultra light, but I'm always happy to
shave off what I can.

--
~ Moccasin