[pct-l] fear on the trail

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 01:32:37 CST 2011

When I was on my first truly solo hike, of the JMT in 2001, I was in a
state of continual fear. Leaving from Yosemite Valley I stopped for the
first night about 10 miles from the valley. I went to bed, with a big 'ole
bear spray canister beside me, sleeping fitfully till sometime in the early
hours; until I heard footsteps. Loud and really close to my tent. Gulping,
heart racing and not so brave, I laid there, holding my breath and waiting
till the closest footsteps faded away. Finally I peeked my head out, shined
my headlamp out and saw, off in the distance, eyes glowing in the light of
my lamp. Yikes! After the initial shock I decided that the body belonging
to the critter was walking in a manner more suited to deer than bear, or so
I hoped. I think maybe I went back to sleep that night but I don't know if
I ever really relaxed on that trip, I was too new and inexperienced and I
carried all my own fears, as well as a good measure of all my friends and
families fears. These days I would never even think of carrying bear spray
into the Sierras but this is only because I have some experience, have
developed good bear avoidance behaviors and as a by product, confidence.
Even after all these years I still have vivid memories of that night...even
more that hiking over Glen Pass in a thunder storm... which BTY, I don't
recommend.

Shelly