[pct-l] your experiences with fear on the trail

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Dec 29 19:17:44 CST 2011

On Dec 29, 2011, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Would you share with us where and how you felt fear on the trail?
> As a newbie I'm very appreciative of this forum. Thank you so much.
> Paul
I felt a lot of fear because there is something derisively called
"The Vortex of Fear." One source is this PCT-L list. The other spoke
on the wheel of terror is town stops and gossip. People spin
themselves into a frenzie over whatever is coming up next and if you
listen to it too much you can go nuts. Same goes for the Wilderness
Press Guides, but most people don't use them anymore so maybe not as
much fear-mongering comes from there as a few years ago. There's a
really good article about this on Backpacking Light. It was free but
now is not. There is a companion thread you can read.
http://tinyurl.com/ck2273a

To my mind, over-hyped fears included:
The 'desert' (it's mostly not desert at all)
Apache Peak (that was it? 10 steps and you're done?)
Fuller Ridge (I wore sandals, twice!)
Section E and crossing the Aqueduct (yawn)
Forester Pass (not scary to me at all)
Snow in general (You walk on it, which can be a pain, but otherwise
it was not a huge issue)
All the glacial melt creeks in Oregon and Washington (cold but not
life-threatening)
Suiattle log (there's a bridge now, but the log was easy-peasy)

Under-hyped fears (--to me. Remember, I'm a weenie)
The Sierra Passes (surprised me they weren't low places in the
mountains, but gigantic high mountains you had to climb. The altitude
and solitude messed with my mind.)
Creeks in Section I (too much swimming for my comfort zone)

Hyped fears I caved in on:
Scary creeks between Le Conte Canyon and Red's Meadow (I came back a
following late summer and did that part then)
Muir Pass (I couldn't figure out how to walk on snow so got tired of
the scariness of high snowy passes and anxiety-producing lunar
landscapes, which I also did not enjoy. Freaked me out, actually.)