[pct-l] your experiences with fear on the trail

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:40:32 CST 2011

Paul wrote:

Would you share with us where and how you felt fear on the trail?
As a newbie I'm very appreciative of this forum. Thank you so much.

One evening I was walking out of a snowstorm on the Three Sisters down to
McKenzie Pass.  The snow turned to rain as I descended and the twilight was
getting gloomy.  Deep in a forested section I came across a fresh deer leg
just lying there beside the trail.  No sign of the rest of the deer in the
darkness.  Needless to say I expedited my exit.

I've had multiple incidents with catching sight of green glowing eyes, about
chest high, reflecting my flashlight in the dark.  I always have that five
second panic moment where I think, "Please be a deer, please be a deer,
please be a deer."  Then the eyes move in a characteristically deer-like
fashion and I laugh at myself.

About ten years ago I severely sprained my ankle about 30 miles into WA
Section K (Glacier Peak).  I was sick at the thought of having to abort my
section hike, and also sick at the thought that there weren't any good
bail-out points, and also sick at the thought of trying to continue hiking
with a serious injury.  Basically my fear was a result of how suddenly my
situation changed; one moment I was cruising down the trail, loving life,
and the next moment I was lying in the dirt, in agony, furiously examining a
range of bad options.  I eventually chose to hike to my original destination
at Stehekin but it was tough going.

Eric