[pct-l] Fw: More Poop Poll/Giardia

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 16:27:10 CST 2011

Shon,
I appreciate that you took the time to do your own research.  Few hikers would do what you did.

The greatest, and the most common, biological risk to hikers using the PCT is exposure to giardia lamblia. Hikers who are infected, were usually exposed while they are camping with other hikers, or when they went into towns for "0" days. Those locations often become contaminated. Since I was riding a horse, I did not visit towns. I resupplied myself by driving ahead and caching near road crossings and trail heads. My approach did require a lot of hitching to get back to my horse. I never take water directly from lakes or from rivers or streams. I never filtered north of Tehachipi Pass and always camped alone with my horse. I  tried to find wild places well off the PCT where others had not camped - and tried my best to leave them as I found them, scattering Primo's poop so it would bio-degrade. My water sources were usually springs or very small flowing creeks when I can tell,by the topo map, that the water had not crossed trails or roads -
 and I am not in cattle country.  I have also scooped surface water from small, clear, and still, ponds that were in the full sun - the UV purifies surface water down to about three or four inches. I mostly lived on the trail for over five months and never got sick.
MendoRider-Hiker