[pct-l] Weight loss on the trail

Bruno Barrera Yever bbyever at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 08:56:56 CST 2011

Thanks everyone for the replies! It has been most helpful.

I was mostly worried about the weight loss issue, since losing even 3 kg
would be really being underweight. It has been reassuring to know that
skinny guys dont loose weight, or at least not very much. I should also
have mentioned I plan on starting the trail with at least 65 kg (preferably
70).

On smoking, I realize the health problems associated, and I know even if
you smoke very little, your general fitness still suffers a lot. That being
said, I dont smoke a lot, mostly just when I'm enjoying a cup of coffee or
something like that. I'll sure remember to be extra careful with fire and
the butts.

I'll remain omnivorous for as long as I can hold it, simply because to gain
weight with a vegetarian diet I have to eat so much more! However, I will
reconsider, and attempt, to thru hike as a vegetarian. I've always been
flexible with the whole vegetarian thing, not that I'll eat a roast beef if
I'm hungry, but if I'm offered meat, and its insulting to reject it, I wont
(I work a lot with families in very poor communities, where this is very
common).

I've been researching a lot on the gear that I'll be taking, and have been
heavily influenced by all those ultralight backpackers out there, so I
don't expect my base weight to be over 6 kg. I'll be trying to walk as much
as I can with my expected weight.

Thanks again for all the advice and experience shared!

--
Bruno Barrera Yever
http://www.untechoparamipais.org/mexico/