[pct-l] Creating your own waypoint trail

pshaw999 at cox.net pshaw999 at cox.net
Fri Dec 23 23:17:59 CST 2011

Joel,

I presume you are talking about Google Earth as the source of the trail data
including any waypoints you want to add? If so, save the data in Google
Earth as a .kml file and then use the freeware program GPSBabel to convert
the .kml to a .gpx file. If the source file is a .kmz file (which is simply
a zipped version of a .kml file), load it into Google Earth and then save to
your "My Places" as a .kml file. You need to do this because GPSBabel
doesn't recognize the .kmz format. Once you get it into a .gpx file,
download as you would any .gpx file into your Garmin. That worked for me in
converting the Te Araroa .kmz file into a track on my DeLorme PN60w.

Hope that helps.

Peanut Eater