[pct-l] lawsuits in wilderness settings...Wake up

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Dec 23 11:20:27 CST 2011

Does this surprise you guys?
We are living in a world where society has gotten used to the Govt.
taking care of all your needs even rewarding you for damages caused by
your own negligence or stupidity.
Wake up.... the time of self reliance is a time gone by....it is history.

JMT Reinhold
Ed wrote:
Hi Tortoise,   I agree with you 100%. I was going to post on this saying
just what you have said.   I want to add that that $1,900,000 that the
US Forest Service had to pay the family was badly needed by the US
Forest Service - which is already underfunded and
therefore understaffed.  This will have to cost Rangers and other forest
service personal their jobs.   Anyone who sleeps with food in their
tents - or lets their kid do it in bear country - is taking a calculated
risk.   MendoRider-Hiker       ________________________________ From:
Tortoise <Tortoise73 at charter.net
mcganty <smcganty at yahoo.com
<pct-l at backcountry.net
December 22, 2011 10:00 PM Subject: Re: [pct-l] lawsuits in wilderness
settings Maybe I am too, too cynical but in cases like this it seems to
me that the plaintiffs don't want to accept their own responsibility, or
that bad things happen. And often it seems to be a desire to get rich
off of their tragedy. When the big awards are made, it encourages others
to also sue. Maybe the parents should be charged with criminal
negligence or reckless child endangerment or some such because they went
camping and didn't inform themselves of the dangers and they let their
child have a candy bar in the tent with him! Also why didn't the family
blame their higher power for letting their child be killed? Tortoise