[pct-l] Using Smart Phones as GPS

Michiel Duvekot michiel at duvekot.ca
Fri Dec 23 14:15:31 CST 2011

I have both an iPhone and a Garmin GPS (Montana). The Montana is big, heavy and clumsy, but: I can operate it in surprisingly low temperatures, with mitts on, in the rain and snow and I can still read it because the screen is so large. Unlike my iPhone, its easy to read in very bright daylight. It also finds a signal in less than 2 seconds, unlike the MotionX app that I used on the iPhone, which really struggles to find a signal sometimes. And it has two sets of batteries, so recharging is not such a big issue.

Michiel