[pct-l] Knees

Mike Yanasak amuddler2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:57:02 CST 2011

At around age 45, while rollerblading, I fell and twisted my knee badly.
 The major pain went away in a few days, and I was completely pain free in
about two weeks.  But: for many subsequent months, I'd frequently  be
walking somewhere --even on a level, clear surface (such as a sidewalk),
carrying  nothing--and I'd suddenly find myself collapsed on the ground
(without any warning, my knee would simply collapse).  It was quite Painful
(and embarrassing, if someone witnessed it!).  This went on for months,
like every other day or so.  An orthopedic surgeon kept putting me off by
saying that he usually doesn't recommend knee surgery for old guys such as
I (was?), and that I ought to just deal with it.  I finally talked him into
surgery, the meniscus (sp?) needed to be partially removed.  It was the
best thing I could have done.  After the surgery, I could have walked out
of the hospital, and I've never had the slightest bit of knee problem
since.  I'm now 69 years of age, and I hiked 1,300 miles of the PCT last
summer.
Incredible things can be done with knees these days.  I'm told that this is
due to all the work and experimentation that has been done on valuable
"assets" who play pro football.
I didn't have insurance, either, and I paid for it.  You (unfortunately),
living in the USA without medical insurance, still have a few options
(assuming surgery is appropriate): You could hurry up and get older (at age
65, perhaps Medicare would pay for the surgery), you could have the surgery
and then stiff the surgeon by not paying his bill (those guys make gobs of
money, anyway), or you could become a citizen of a more civilized, humane
country, (one with single-payer health insurance--several come to mind).
Oh yeah: there are some pretty swell-looking knee braces available these
days, as well.
Now, if only I could hear even half as well as I can walk....
Also, the countryside north of Tuolomne is less mountainous.
Good luck!
Why would anyone want to carry a SPOT on the PCT, anyway?  I'd consider
returning it and using  the money for a down payment on knee surgery.
Nader

--

*"Problems cannot* be *solved **by the level of awareness that created *
*